Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What, no new posts?

Hi all,

I know, I know - I've been derelict of duty. I have no excuse, other than I recently moved to Toronto to take a new job as senior editor of Maximum Fitness magazine and between the new gig, finding my bearings, the commute (oh, sweet man o'schivitz, the Toronto commute! It's hideous!) and sleeping on a blowup bed, well, I haven't had much of a chance to post.

Another thing I'm doing in the P90x workout. Do you know about this? It's hellish and great. You see, I'd sort of fallen out of my regular workout routine; the gym was boring me, plus it seemed such a big time-suck out of my day - I'd have to get there, change, work out, change, go home. In the winter it meant layering up or warming my car up and ... anyway, too much. I even sort of begged off running. But my friend did this thing, P90x, a workout where essentially you're playing these DVDs, following this 45-year-old sadist, Tony Horton (the workout instructor) through a 10-day regimen that you loop over 9 times, for ninety days straight, hence P90x.

Anyway, anyone who's read this blog knows I've done some physically strenuous stuff. When I was boxing, the training used to involve me running down the Iowa freeway in the dead heat of summer, from Iowa City to Coralville, hitting the heavy bags in the basement of Gold's Gym for thirteen rounds, then running 7 miles back to Iowa City. I remember once I just collapsed in the breakdown lane along the highway, heaving like a dying horse in the desert. But I never threw up.

Puking always seemed to me the ultimate physical strain indicator. And since I'd pushed my body as far as I thought I ever could and hadn't ever puked, I was always cynical when someone said: "I worked out so hard I barfed!" (perhaps nobody's ever said that to you. Clearly we travel in different circles). Anyway, it always seemed like bunk to me.

So I was in Fredericton still, and the P90x system showed up. I wasn't really planning to do it seriously until I came to Toronto, but anyway I figured I'd give it a whirl and ass around with it. I stick in DVD #2: Plyometrics. Which is a lot of jump-training. The thing is, you do it for an hour straight. Practically no break, where at the gym you're always resting.

So I get to the 25 minute mark, get light-headed, totally exhausted and spent ... and I stagger in the bathroom and puke.

Oh my god! P90x! Bring it! (as Tony Horton would say. He also says: "Do your best and forget the rest," and a lot of other silly bromides). Anyway, I must say it's a serious workout program. But it works. It has to. And I like the idea of pushing myself for 90 days then begging off and chilling for 4 months, eating lard from the can pretty much, then torturing myself for 90 days again. Way better than the usual 5 days working out, 2 days off, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Anyhoo, here are some reviews of Sarah Court. If you haven't bought it already, you make me sad.

National Post Review

Globe and Mail
(ps: since I do P90x, I no longer look like that circa-2006 press pic. Plus I've cut my hair recently!)

Ideomancer Review

All best, Craig.

No comments:

Post a Comment