Thursday, December 1, 2011

TOP BETS!

Hello All,

So, this is an experiment. As anyone who knows me can attest, I really don't know much about technology. It's amazing I keep this blog running, I'm such a technophobe luddite. But I try. I struggle. I try.

So we'll see if this works. I have a bunch of old TOP BETS, which was a column I wrote for an alt-urban newspaper in the Maritimes in 2010. That bygone era! Call of Duty 3---remember that game? Before that: Pacman!

Anyway, the basic idea of the column was ... well, I was hired as deputy editor and my EIC, bless him, realized he had to give me something to write on a weekly basis to keep me sane and make use of whatever weird talents I happened to have. So he came up with this idea of listing some events that were going on in the cities where the paper was distributed (Fredericton, Moncton, and Saint John). Sort of like: "Hey, this is going on this week! Check it out!"

Now we ended up getting some hate mail over this. I managed to offend Newfoundlanders, Europeans, um, pita bakers (long story) and others. My EIC, Charles, stuck with me through all of this. God love that man. It was fun. I got a whole page to use as my sandbox and created a cast of characters: the nameless hard-luck narrator of many of the items, his good-for-nothing friend Shifty Tubman, his rattlesnake-mean lover Handsome Maggie ... that's a pretty rare opportunity for any ink-stained wretch.

And, true to form, I squandered it.

Longtime readers of this blog will know I've posted some of these before as pure text. But now that I figured out how to convert .pdfs to .jpgs, I think I can post them in their fullness, with the wacky illustrations and photos. You may have to scroll around to read them, yeah, and they come with a big watermark in the corner because I'm too cheap to pay for the actual convertor, but you get the idea.

I'll post a couple right now to give a taste, and the odd one every so often afterwards. So read, gaze, and marvel that these freaking things actually made it into print at some point. It still kind of beggars imagination!

All best, Craig.



1 comment:

  1. Oh Craig. These were BRILLIANT. Absolutely brilliant. Like a weird fever dream after a night of pairing scotch and retsina. You are missed.

    ReplyDelete